confederate manufacturers (2023)

Confederate Manufacturers

CFederated manufacturers are listed alphabetically; Any reference is taken from the text below the manufacturers section and may not reflect past year's results. This section should only be consulted for basic information about the manufacturer in question. It is always recommended that prior to purchasing any Confederate weapon, a competent military weapons appraiser conducts a thorough analysis of the item.

Machine factory Augusta

TThe Confederate revolver assigned to the Augusta Machine Works is a mystery. As it is not marked with a name, some collectors wonder if this is the locally made revolver, while others question whether revolvers were made at the machine works. It is a fact that the Confederate government had a factory in Augusta, Georgia known as the Augusta Machine Works, but it has never been established what war material it produced. Other questions are whether the 6 and 12 stage revolvers were made in the same place and if so why? Are these revolvers of Confederate origin or not? This revolver is a true Colt Navy copy with a full octagonal barrel, brass trigger guard and rear grip, and a Colt Navy style loading lever lock. The rifle has six lands and slots with a slight clockwise twist without amplification. It has a deep oval in the trigger guard, a finely fluted hammer spur, a roller in the hammer, and a spring in the wedge. There are examples that have cylinders with 6 or 12 stops. Cylinders with 6 or 12 stops. The 6-stop cylinders have shear pins and a groove in the face, while the 12-stop cylinders naturally have no shear pins. Pistols have assembly numbers on most parts but no serial numbers. They are called assembly numbers because the markings are not visible on a fully assembled weapon. They consist of single-digit numbers or letters, and there are duplicates in all of them. The dies used were extra large for a pistol. Markings are on the back of the barrel grip near the butt hole, on the flat charging handle, and on the charging handle butt. Other marks are on the top of the washer, on the back of the barrel between the nipples, on the back of the frame next to the hammer and on the front of the frame next to the hammer, and on the front of the frame between the locking screws. They are also located on the rear grip and on the inside of the trigger guard plate. There is no number on the back of the 6-speed cylinder because the locking pins are in the way. Without serial numbers it is difficult to estimate the total number of revolvers produced. A comparison with Columbus revolvers offers some possible conclusions. An estimated 100 Columbus revolvers were made and today there are more Augusta revolvers in collectors' hands than Columbus revolvers. This could indicate that over 100 Augustas were made or that the end of the war was near and the revolvers were therefore not used for long or heavily, hence the higher survival rate. It is absolutely certain that the 6 and 12 cylinder pistols have the same origin. All features, including the large oval trigger guard, are identical. The ribs were made using the same rib machine and the assembly numbers and letters were stamped using the same dies. Why produce a 6 and 12 stage revolver? They probably started out by copying the Colt Navy's 6-stop and then settled on the 12-stop cylinder extended safety device. Was the revolver made by the Confederacy? This can be answered by looking at brass in different samples. Some were made of yellow brass and others of bronze-colored brass typical only of Confederate weapons. The gun is definitely not European as it also has American threads on the bolts. In Bill Albaugh's Confederate Handguns, it includes two letters and a statement stating that the pistols were manufactured at Machine Works. James W. Camak, an Athens, Georgia attorney, wrote in March 1915 that the pistols were manufactured at the Confederate government pistol factory in Augusta. In a letter to E. Berkeley Bowie in 1918, Samuel C. Wilson, secretary of the Augusta Department of Public Health, wrote: “A gun factory in Augusta between Jackson and Campbell, Adams and D'Antignac Streets, now occupied by The Die Augusta Lumber Company was operated by the Confederate government under Major N. S. Finney, Chief of Ordnance on General B. D. Fry's staff, and commanded the Augusta Department. The description of the revolver in Wilson's letter matches that of the Augusta revolver referred to, including the claim that it was one of the best in the Confederacy. Also keep in mind that people writing about these events in 1915 and 1918 could still get first-hand information from people who lived in Augusta during the Civil War. In a 1928 statement, J.B. Patterson claimed he was a boy living in Augusta during the Civil War. As General Sherman's army was about to pass through Augusta, he vividly recalled the people who would gather at the foundry known as Augusta Machine Works to remove whatever of value was left. According to him, the foundry, which was owned by the Confederate government, manufactured guns, cannon, heavy machinery, and pistols.

Confederate revolvers

by Gary

Boyle & Gamble

EUOn South Sixth Street, one block from the former Virginia Armory, the above operated throughout the war, making swords of all kinds. They also made knives and bayonets. The distinction between the two companies is not known, although it appears that Boyle & Gamble sold its property privately to individuals and military contractors such as Mitchell & Tyler, while Boyle, Gamble & MacFee were solely under government contract. Judging by the survival rate, this was a pretty big operation. The directors were: Edwin Boyle, Gamble and E. MacFee. Boyle & Gamble sword hilts are quite distinctive in shape and style of decoration. Another distinguishing feature is the pronounced "notch" at the top of the pommel, a feature unique to Boyle & Gamble swords. “Many manufactured B&G swords are marked on the underside of the crossguard with the company name and address, this marking can be seen on staff and infantry sabers as well as cavalry sabers.

Guillermo Albaugh,A photo insert from Confederate Swords

College-Hill-Arsenal; Nashville, Tennessee

"EULocated in College Hill, Nashville, L.T. Cunningham. The products were sold to the state, government and private individuals. Nashville fell to the Federals on April 1, 1862, ending Cunningham's activities, but by then all manner of swords and sabers were being manufactured on a large scale. In general, their cavalry sabers were a direct copy of sabers made by their competitor, the Nashville Plow Works, but without the company name on the bottom edge of the guard and with metal backing strips instead of brass. A peculiarity of foot, field and staff officer blades is that the cutting edge does not reach its full length. Instead, it starts abruptly about three-quarters of an inch from the guard, just like today's razors. Another common quirk is an unadorned pommel with the knuckle joint down rather than in the middle. As a result, the knob has a rather "high" appearance. All blades are fuller capped and when engraved these decorations are usually limited to the fuller ones only and run the full length. Cunningham apparently did much of the signature engraving, and it's quite distinctive, sometimes taking the form of a monster and most often featuring the letters "C.S.A." and a Confederate flag of swords and slashes. Some swords have "C.L. Cunningham, Nashville" engraved on the blade, but so small you can't see it without a magnifying glass."

Guillermo Albaugh,A photo insert from Confederate Swords

Confederate States Armory, Kenansville, North Carolina

"DDespite its official name, this was a private but large company run by Louis Frolich. A variety of products were manufactured between 1861 and 1865, including swords, sabers, knives and machetes. The most well-known Confederate Armory sword is the staff officer pattern, with "CSA" forming the guard. The guards appear to be stamped but are actually die cast."

Guillermo Albaugh,A photo insert from Confederate Swords

James Conning; Handy, Alabama

"JJames Conning, Dauphin and Water Street, Mobile produced many examples of edged arms, including excellent officers' swords and cavalry and artillery sabers, under contract to the State of Alabama. The latter are stamped on the back of the ricasso with the company's name and address. Obviously, this method of marking seemed too commercial to use on his officers' swords. The manufacturer has identified many of them by engraving their name and address on the back neck hem. The serial number is stamped on the underside of the guard just in front of the blade. A distinctive feature of most reeds, official or commissioned, is that the tapered portion extends from the end to one of the fleas from the guard and then transitions into a rounded portion such as that found on the back of the reed. A comparison between the products of this manufacture and those of Boyle & Gamble indicates a common denominator. The extent of a connection so close that it is strongly suspected is unknown."

Guillermo Albaugh,A photo insert from Confederate Swords

Koch & Bruder New Orleans, Louisiana

"FErdinand WC Cook and his brother Francis, both English citizens, opened a gun factory at 1 Canal Street, New Orleans, in June 1861. Production continued until the fall of New Orleans when it was moved to Athens, Georgia. All types of rifles and carbines were made. The manufacture of edged weapons was apparently not seriously considered, although some sabers and saber bayonets were made in limited numbers. It is also reported that attempts were made to make sabers, "but they were revolutionary things with crude iron hilts. Their manufacture was not a success and the attempt was soon abandoned".

Guillermo Albaugh,A photo insert from Confederate Swords

Cook & Brother part 2

"CCook & Brother manufactured firearms in New Orleans from 1861 to 1862 and in Athens, Georgia from 1863 to 1864. The company manufactured carbines, rifles, carbines and swords. Englishman Ferdinand W. Cook, an engineer and architect, and his brother Francis Cook opened their gun company in June 1861. While in New Orleans, their production was sold to the state of Alabama. Just before they left New Orleans on April 1, they made a major contract with the Confederacy for 30,000 guns. In April 1862, the Cook brothers loaded engines onto two ships to avoid possible capture by Farragut's fleet. You went to Vicksburg from New Orleans, miss. And then to Selma, Alabama. The brothers traveled from Selma to Athens, Georgia, where they bought the Hodgsons family flour mill. Production was reported at around 300 to 600 guns per month. Safety plate markings on rifles, carbines, and carbines read "Cook & Brother, N.D." or "Cook & Brother, Athens, Georgia". and the serial number and date are stamped on the side. A Confederate flag is emblazoned on the lock plate behind the hammer. The serial number appears on most parts, including screw heads. The barrel lock is stamped "proven" (upside down). The barrels of the guns made in New Orleans were stamped "Cook & Brother N.O.". Cook's arms were well made and very useful. The inspector's cartridge is F.W.C, which for Ferdinand W.C. Cook. The first guns made in 1861 and early 1862 were for the sword bayonet, and later in 1862 almost all were made for the socket bayonet. Early guns had two-piece trigger guards, and later guns switched to simpler, more repairable one-piece trigger guards. They used walnut and cherry wood with a good entrance finish. All weapons examined are from 1862, 1863 and 1864. There was no 39-inch rifle, no 24-inch artillery carbine and no 21-inch cavalry carbine. Cook's guns were from Shelby Iron Works.

Antonio and HillPictorial historyConfederate long guns and pistols

Courtney & Tennant, Charleston, Carolina del Sur und Robert Mole & Sons, Birmingham, Inglaterra

"TCourtney & Tennant, Charleston, were shipbuilders and importers. They did not produce. At the outbreak of war George Tennant, a major, went abroad where he bought considerable supplies for the Confederate States Navy, including naval buttons of all sizes, regulations, swords and naval hatchet for naval officers. These last two items were made to order by Robert Mole & Sons of Birmingham, England, whose name as manufacturer is stamped on the back of the blade. The name and address of the purchasing company appear on the back of the ricasso, stamped (two lines) in a rectangle. Mole also provided the Confederacy with several well-respected cavalry sabers. These were close copies of the Model 1853 English Cavalry but with all bronze guards. These are also stamped “mole” on the back of the blade (sometimes also on the guard).

Guillermo Albaugh,A photo insert from Confederate Swords

Davis and Bozeman, Central Alabama

"HHenry J. Davis and David W. Bozeman manufactured approximately 900 rifles and 89 carbines for the state of Alabama. They also repaired guns for the state. In November 1864 his contract expired. The well-made walking supports are identical to those of the Dickson, Nelson & Co. Arms. and Hodgkins. It looks like the barrels were made in Columbus, Georgia for all three gun manufacturers."

Antonio and HillPictorial historyConfederate long guns and pistols

AH DeWitt, Columbus, Georgia

"ONE.H. DeWitt, a Columbus jeweler, switched his trade to swordmaking in early 1861. The extent of this operation is unknown, although he is said to have had a contract with the state of Georgia for cavalry sabers and had offered to sell those sabers to the Confederates. Belt guns for $20.00 each. Until recently, their products had not been identified."

Guillermo Albaugh,A photo insert from Confederate Swords

Dickson, Nelson & Co., Dawson, Georgia

"JO1861, William Dickson, Owen O. Nelson and Dr. Lewis H. Sadler founded Shakanoosa Arms Co. in Dickson, Alabama. They received an order from the state of Alabama for 5,000 Mississippi rifles (Model 1841) and bayonets. Records show that from October 1, 1863 to November 1, 1864 the state received 645 rifles against this treaty. Shortly after starting the gun shop, it had to be relocated to Rome, Georgia. Here it was in operation for several months until a fire destroyed the factory. The gun shop was moved to Adairsville, Georgia and then to Dawson, Georgia around March 1864. The gun shop remained in operation until the end of the war. Shelby Works supplied the iron for those used at Dickson, Nelson & Co.

Antonio and HillPictorial historyConfederate long guns and pistols

Dufilho, Nova Orleans, Louisiana

"JOIt is left to some future historians to pinpoint the background of this swordmaker, but judging by the specimens that have survived, his enterprise was not as small as officially believed. Some of his weapons are marked with his name and address, while others are unmarked and can only be identified as his by direct comparison with those marked. It is possible that Dufilho employed the same artist as Thomas, Griswold & Co., New Orleans to engrave the blade. Such an arrangement would not be unusual. It seemed common practice for companies operating in the same city to share the same slider."

Guillermo Albaugh,A photo insert from Confederate Swords

Waffenkammer von Fayetteville, Fayetteville, Carolina do Norte

"OhOn April 22, 1861, the state of North Carolina seized the American-owned Fayetteville Arsenal. Governor Elis of North Carolina offered the weapons stored in the armory to President Jefferson Davis of the Confederacy. 32,678 muskets and 3,685 rifles were confiscated. Catch gun machines at Harpers Ferry in April 1861 were shipped to the Fayetteville Armory in June 1861. Initially, the Armory crafted gun parts captured from Harpers Ferry and converted flints into percussion. By the spring of 1862 the arsenal was in full production. The first production rifles, marked in 1861 and 1862, were made from parts captured from Harpers Ferry. The lock plate was made for Maynard band primer but was not ground and its shape resembled the Richmond hump lock. The second type of serial lock plate is less humped, dates from 1862 and is made from parts from Harpers Ferry. The standard type has a locking plate with no hump profile and is similar to the US Model 1861 musket. It also has a hammer with the distinctive "S". Total production by the Fayetteville Arsenal was over 10,000 rifles. The brass mounted rifle was stamped on the lock "Fayetteville, N.C." above the eagle and "CSA" below the eagle. The locks were dated 1862, 1863 and 1864. The brass impression plate was stamped "CSA". The barrel breech was marked with an eagle's head motif and the date "VP". This is identical to the markings on the Harpers Ferry barrel. The first rifles, made in 1861 and 1862, used the saber bayonet with a nose in the barrel, and after 1862 the socket bayonet was used to save on materials. The Fayetteville rifle was a well-made weapon. It was a .58 caliber with a 33" barrel and 49" overall length. The rifle was made with brass bands, recoil pad, trigger guard and power cap. The certificate was marked "JB" which stands for James Burton, Inspector of Fayetteville. Fayetteville also assembled a few hundred Model 1855 pistol carbines from parts captured from Harpers Ferry. The obsolete single-shot clip-on carbines were made due to the need for guns in the South. These weapons are very rare. In March 1865, machines from the Fayetteville armory were sent to Chatham Country to evade Sherman's troops. But within two months, the Yankees found the planes and brought them to Raleigh."

Antonio and HillPictorial historyConfederate long guns and pistols

Firman & Sons, London, England

"JOTo obtain military supplies and equipment from Europe, the Confederate States Army sent Commander James D. Bulloch, C.S.N. to England at the beginning of the war and his company was very successful. One of his main contacts in this line was the old and established house of military shipowners Firman & Sons, 153 Strand and 12 Conduit Street, London, whose name and address are stamped on the reverse of the very rare Confederate Navy buttons and also engraved on the ricasso of some of the rare ones Swords of Confederate naval officers. Their design closely follows those described in Courtney & Tennant, and it is likely that Robert Mole & Sons made the guns for both. Recently, another type of sword called the firman and Confederate markings has emerged. It generally follows the 1822 British light cavalry saber, protected by two iron arms, from which our own 1833 Dragon model was copied. The front of the 32 1/2" engraved blade includes as part of its decoration a superimposed Stars and Stripes flag an anchor (identical to the Confederate Marine officer's service sword)....The iron guard prevents the sword from being naval. On the Lines on verso of sheet to "Confederate Marines". , S.C. "James Thurston (one of the prisoners), First Lieutenant, C.S. The Marine Corps has a sword and one in one, with equipment manufactured by Firman & Sons, 153 Strand and 13 Conduit Sts., London..."

Guillermo Albaugh,A photo insert from Confederate Swords

JF Garrett & Co., Greensboro, Carolina do Norte

"TThe bolt-loading carbine was invented and patented in Greensboro, North Carolina by Jere H. Tarpley. He received a C.S.A. Patent February 14, 1863, and his name appears on the tang of the barrel. He joined J. & F. Garrett & Co. to make carbines for the state of North Carolina. The carbines were made for about a year, and their production amounted to only a few hundred. The carbine had a unique design that made it possible to create this arm with a file. The frame was unfinished brass with a copper color. The barrel was blued and the hammer hardened. The carbine's main flaw was that it lacked a gas seal to prevent highly erosive gases from escaping between the breech block and the barrel when fired. With each shot, the gap between the breech block and the barrel would increase. The carbine used paper ammunition. Although manufactured primarily for the state, the carbine was also sold commercially. It is the only Confederate weapon sold to the public. The tarpley looked attractive but wasn't very useful. Clap, Goals & Co. It was ten miles from Garrett's Greensboro operation. The hammer and other parts may be from Clapp, Gates & Co. "Production dates, 1863-1864, total production, 'a few hundred'."

Antonio and HillPictorial historyConfederate long guns and pistols

Georgia Armory, Milleville, Georgia

ONEAt the time of the War between the States, Milledgeville was the capital of the secessionist state of Georgia. Shortly after Georgia left the Union, Milledgeville State Penitentiary was converted into a gun shop. Extensive repairs to existing firearms and limited manufacture of Mississippi-type rifles and saber bayonets for the rifles took place here. The latter were of two types: those with all brass handles similar to the American model. The embossing that appears on the ricasso of these is the same matrix used to stamp the barrels and plates of rifles.

Guillermo Albaugh,A photo insert from Confederate Swords

L. Haiman and brother, Columbus, Georgia

"EUouis and Elijah Haiman, Columbus, operate during the war. The items that supplied the Confederacy were numerous and varied, and included: buttons, belts, camping gear, revolvers, and all manner of slashing weapons. It is known that his activities as a swordmaker were extensive. Despite this, surviving specimens are rare, probably because many have yet to be identified as such. The identified include all types, types and patterns with a wide variety of styles and methods of manufacture.

Guillermo Albaugh,A photo insert from Confederate Swords

Halfman & Taylor, Montgomery, Alabama

"Halfman & taylor of Montgomery were military shipowners and are not known to have been involved in any manufacture. His name is most commonly found on the back of "I" buttons imported from the Confederacy. It is also occasionally found engraved on the ricasso of English swords. The remainder of this blade engraving appears in a standard floral pattern throughout and in the center of the blade is an eagle with "CSA" on its breast surmounted by eleven stars (one star for each southern state) identical to those marketed by Isaac Campbell. & As soon as. Halfman & Taylor probably held their swords through Isaac & Co."

Guillermo Albaugh,A photo insert from Confederate Swords

Hyde & Goodrich, Nova Orleans, Louisiana

"EUHyde & Goodrich, based at 15 Chartres, New Orleans, has been in business since 1853. The directors were: William M. Goodrich, A.L. Hyde Thomas, Jr. and A.B. Griswold. Many, both North and South, may have doubted whether the two parts of the country would eventually engage in armed conflict, but that doubt did not extend to Hyde & Goodrich. They produced, bought and imported quantities of war material. Note that some of their Tranter revolvers imported from England are engraved "Hyde & Goodrich, Agents of the South of the United States". In August 1861 the company changed hands and began trading as: Thomas Griswold & Co. A surviving example of Hyde & Goodrich dealt in swords and sabers of all shapes and sizes, but the only known one is an infantry officer's sword.

Guillermo Albaugh,A photo insert from Confederate Swords

Isaac & Co. (Isaac, Campbell & Co.) London, England

miIn early 1861, Saul Isaac and his nephew Benjamin Hart, both from New York City, seeing an opportunity for financial gain, purchased the long-established military equipment business of S. Campbell & Co., 71 Jermyn Street, London. From then on the company traded as Isaac & Co. They dealt in all kinds of military gear, including swords. The company was dissolved at the end of the war. Since they only supplied the South, all items bearing their name can be considered Confederate. Although they probably carried many types of edged weapons, the only ones that have been definitively identified as such are the English Model-1853 iron-shielded cavalry sabers stamped "Isaac & Co." on the back of the sheet; and some English officers' swords bearing the name of the previous company (S. Campbell & Co.), the blades of which were engraved with floral designs and an eagle with "CSA" on the chest and crowned by eleven stars, one for each of the O Expresso do Süd ."

Guillermo Albaugh,A photo insert from Confederate Swords

EJ Johnston & Co. Macon, Georgia

"TThe operations of E. J. Johnston & Co. of Macon were very important, and by April 1862 the company was producing "40 infantry swords, 40 naval and artillery duck knives, and 40 cavalry sabers a week". The company continued throughout the era and every imaginable type and model was manufactured. Guns made by Johnston and William J. McElroy, also of Macon, are remarkably similar in both manufacturing style and decorative design. The two companies obviously worked together, which isn't unusual considering they were the only two manufacturers in a small town. The weapons of both were made with stationary fullers, and the engravings on the blades of both were in many cases clearly done by the same artist. Another distinctive feature of both swords is the lack of leather coverings on the handle. Instead of leather, the wooden handle was highly polished, varnished and wrapped with wire. Until closely examined, they appear to be made of horn rather than wood."

Guillermo Albaugh,A photo insert from Confederate Swords


"TThe "Confederate" single-action Kerr is .44 or .450 caliber and is referred to as a 54-bore. A smaller size, 80 caliber or .36, was also made in limited numbers. Auguste Francotte of Liege was Kerr's licensed manufacturer and communicator, and made at least one .36 revolver, marked "1" and clearly of Liege with full tests. But most were London Arsenal weapons, and they were on the run in front of the London sights and bullet marks, flat top left, with an L.A.C. The structure to which the barrel is hinged on the lower front is stamped with a LONDON/ARMORY oval on the lower part. The rear sidelock, removable from the revolver frame and attached to the grip, bears the hand-engraved words LONDON ARMORY co. and on the same right side of the frame under the cylinder and engraved by hand, it is a final acceptance mark as it is engraved after polishing just prior to bluing. The actual manufacturing serial number of the Kerr series of revolvers is stamped on the face of the cylinder, on the flat part of the frame below the cylinder, under the barrel lug across the top of the cylinder, and on the lug at the top of the cylinder. mortise lock. In a "JS-Anchor" example, the registered number is 9239; the actual stamped serial number used to reassemble the parts after being disassembled for finishing and then sent back by the polishers is H 813, the separately stamped H of 813, which due to its regularity appears to have been stamped on the various parts some kind of template. The wood below the keyhole is also marked with an "H", but drilled three times with a pointed tool (screwdriver?). On the front of the strap, just at the point of the frame's tang, the initials JS are stamped above an anchor. The identical mark appears on other Kerr revolvers and on the back of the trigger guard of a London Armory .577 carbine in the author's collection, purchased from a dealer who bought it "in Tennessee". The lockplate, normally on London Armory Company firearms with this code imprint, was hand engraved by the same man who marked the Kerr revolver mentioned above with the London Armory... Although the Kerr revolver was adopted by Portugal, the markings denote the Portuguese edition is no longer engraved by the collector. It's possible that the JS anchor is a Portuguese seal. But the discovery of not only Kerr revolvers but also Enfield London Armory carbines from the woods of the border states bearing the same hallmark - a hallmark indicating final acceptance by the Chief Inspector - seems to support the weapon's use in the South confirm the JS anchor is a southern brand and not another buyer's label; If so, it may somehow have meant John Slidell (Confederate Commissioner to Europe) or James Seddon, who honor them rather than any indication that they personally inspected the arm. While this is pure speculation, the possibility that the "H" series of the Kerr revolver series was made for Caleb Huse is quite likely. Engraved numbers are not real serial numbers, as is commonly believed. The company's books show sales figures; That said, the Adams and Beaumont-Adams revolvers, single and double action, could likely be found in the books in terms of sales. That said, Adams and Beaumont-Adams revolvers and Kerrs of both calibers and single and double action could likely be found in books with square brackets or groups of numbers intended for engraving. The stamped metal serial number was used by manufacturing personnel to keep track of the current batch of Kerr revolvers. The engraved serial number was on a production run by Kerr and was successively raced against the model, a common practice at London gun makers Holland, Westly Richards and Rigby, among others. The stamped number is an indication of the quantity produced in the batch, order or order. It is also an indication of the ratio of engraved Kerr revolvers to total production, regardless of model changes...

Civil War Weaponsby William B Edwards

Kraft, Goldschmidt & Kraft "KG & G.", Columbia, Carolina do Sul

miIn early 1861, gunsmith Peter W. Kraft and his brother H.F. Kraft, a jeweler (both in Colombia), merged to form the sword manufacturing company Kraft, Goldschmidt & Kraft (the third director was never identified). The result was some of the finest swords and sabers made in the South. All kinds and designs were made. The blade of most resembles that found in the College Hill Armory in that the edge stops abruptly about an inch before reaching the handle, like today's switchblades. Another characteristic of his products seems to be a disregard for the traditional design of the decoration of the handle scales. For example, most sword makers were content with a simple design of ivy or laurel leaves on each side of the pommel, but many of K.G. & K. are known for having a different design on each side (laurel on one side, oak leaves on the other). the other). The company also seems to have appreciated the use of a brass rail at the base of the handle. At some point K.G. &K must have found several Napoleonic wartime journals (French, Spanish and German). These long, straight, double-edged weapons have been re-wielded in the signature style. At least three of these swords were associated with General Wade Hampton, C.S.A. He carried one himself and presented the other two to Generals M.C. Butler and Bradley T. Johnston, both C.S.A.

Guillermo Albaugh,A photo insert from Confederate Swords

Blutegel & Rigdon (Memphis Novelty Works) Memphis, Tennessee

THomas Leech and Charles H. Rigdon, directors of Leech and Rigdon, also known as the Memphis Novelty Works (sometimes just "Novelty Works"), are known for the imitation Colt revolvers they supplied to the Confederacy. His activities as a swordmaker have never been fully explored. However, they are known to have been involved in sword manufacture in Memphis and later in Columbus, Mississippi, Georgia, and it was at this point that the association ended. The company was found to have made 1,500 revolvers. An estimate of his number of swords has never been given, and probably never will be. However, from the existing specimens, his operations in this regard were not small. The manufacture included all kinds of swords, sabers, knives, bayonets and probably machetes. They are best known for infantry officer's swords with "CS" in an oval on the rear counter cover, and cavalry sabers of the same general design with "CS" in an oval on the upper rear counter cover, although the latter may have been copied from a different manufacturer . In addition, they supplied numerous other swords and sabers of all models. It also appears that the company was not averse to providing a sword made by someone else with lavish engraving on the blade, usually including a "CSA" and the company's name in the ricasso. Some swords of this signature are found with "W. Rigdon /etcher" on the blades. We assume that "W. Rigdon" was Charles' brother.

Guillermo Albaugh,A photo insert from Confederate Swords

WJ McElroy, Macon, Georgia

"ONEAt the start of the war, William J. McElroy, formerly a tinsmith, changed careers and entered the swordmaking business, which he continued throughout the war. Their wares were wide and varied, from bayonets and bowie knives to all kinds of swords and sabers. In addition, it also produced belts, buckles, spurs and water bottles. It also supplied 210 spears to the state of Georgia early in the war. There is a striking resemblance between McElroy's guns and E.J. Johnston, also from Macon. Both captured the individual fullers and from those on tape, it's apparent that both used the same artist in many instances.

Guillermo Albaugh,A photo insert from Confederate Swords

McKennie & Co., Charlottesville, Virginia

"THut McKennie & Co. of Charlottesville, a sword maker, has long been known to collectors but specimens have never been identified until recently. They are so similar to the French model from which they were copied that some must no doubt be in private collections today, where they are referred to as "French". Only three copies are known to the author. These three are practically identical. All have the French-type blade; Continuous large fuller on both sides with an additional smaller fuller running the entire length of the blade. Still in the French style, the maker's name and address are engraved on the back of the blade. One example appears to have been engraved on both sides of the blade, but is too worn to distinguish the design. McKennie & Co. began operations in July 1861 and by the spring of the following year employed four hands and was producing six swords a week. It's not a major operation and three survivors is still unusual."

Guillermo Albaugh,A photo insert from Confederate Swords

Mitchell e Tyler, Richmond, Virginia

"METROItchell & Tyler of Richmond were military jewelers and shipbuilders. They didn't manufacture. Their names are most commonly found on the backs of buttons on Virginia state seals, but they also traded a general line of military supplies, including swords. Among his collaborators was a certain William T. Ege, an artist who enhanced the plain blades with various engraved patterns. Ege also provided the same service to Boyle & Gamble. His projects have been varied and varied, but his style is distinctive and easily identifiable. According to available records, Mitchell & Tyler acquired most of their firearms from Boyle & Gamble, and many of that manufacturer's swords have the ricasso engraved "Made by Boyle & Gamble & Co. for Mitchell Tyler, Richmond, Virginia." In addition, as the photos below show, the plain English blades were embellished with patriotic “CSA” engravings on the blade, etc.

Guillermo Albaugh,A photo insert from Confederate Swords


"TThe patented model box sets were made by Muzzy & Co. of Worchester, New York for George Woodward Morse, an inventor who used these assemblies to promote his new breech loading arm. Although this Morse rifle and shotgun combo is not a Confederate firearm, it has been included in this book to tell the complete Morse code story. Morse held many US firearms patents. In 1861, Morse attempted to sell 6,000 locking carbines to Texas. These carbines would be made in Europe; However, the contract was never finalized. At the outbreak of war, Morse became the first superintendent of the Nashville Armory in Nashville, Tennessee. Here he began equipping himself for the manufacture of his newly designed carbine. He chose brass for the receiver because this non-ferrous metal could be more easily cast and machined by semi-skilled workers. He began making parts in Nashville until February 1862, when the city fell. His operations were moved to Atlanta, Georgia, where he worked with H. Marshall & Co., a sword maker. In an article in the Atlanta Daily Intelligencer of December 13, 1862, Mr. Marshall introduced and demonstrated the new Morse carbine to the public. The article contained a full description of the carbine and its new cartridge. The Atlanta production carbine was assembled from parts by the Nashville Armory and H. Marshall & Co. The number of carbines manufactured in Atlanta is believed to be between 200 and 400. Both carbines are .54 caliber and their dimensions are the same. It appears that the large serial number carbines were Atlanta production and the small serial number carbines were Greenville production. The carbine with the lowest serial number is #425. The stock range for the Atlanta production was 1–200–400, and Greenville production 300–1025. The Atlanta carbine's operating handle was a solid piece of brass and was quite heavy. The bolt head, which contained the firing pin, was also solid brass. The breech only locked when the hammer was in the firing position. Upon close inspection after testing, it was determined that improvements were needed as the helical face had been corroded by gas escaping from the perforated caps. The front of the brass bolt also began to retract. Another bug that needed fixing was the joystick lock. When the gun was cocked and held at an angle of 45 degrees or more, the breech would open and remove the projectile from the breech. Some of the first production rifles were taken from the factory to have the lugs fitted....

Antonio and HillPictorial history Confederate long guns and pistols

Nashville Plough Works (Sharp & Hamilton) Nashville, Tennessee

"PPossibly because of such an obvious reversal of the biblical injunction to "beat swords into ploughshares," Nashville Plow Works sabers have long been treasured by collectors. Distinctive handles (on most) also identify the company and contain the letters "CSA" in large capital letters. The Tennessee Gun Collectors Association's excellent magazine recently publicized the fact that the company was located on the west side of Eighth Avenue South, just north of the elevated railroad bridge. (Ross Calvert, descendant of the Hamilton side of Sharp & Hamilton). A large but undetermined number of swords were made here from the beginning of the war until Nashville fell to the Federals on April 1, 1862. Some cavalry sabers have been discovered with crude brass knuckles, the blades leaving embossed fullers. "Sharp & Hamilton, Nashville, Tennessee". However, these lack the attractive, distinctive protective quality normally associated with Plow Works. It has long been believed that all castings of this Guardian came from the same mould... This is not evident... Some were cast with a relatively smooth surface, while others appear stippled or stippled. Some have the company name in upper case, others in lower case. Of the twenty-five or so personally held sabers, all but one had a brass back hilt (commissioned by College Hill Arsenal Iron).

Guillermo Albaugh,A photo insert from Confederate Swords

Palmetto Armory (William Glaze & Co), Columbia, Carolina do Sul

"OhOn April 15, 1851, the state of South Carolina placed a bulk order for muskets, rifles, and pistols with Benjamin Flag of Millbury, Massachusetts, and William Glaze, owner of the Palmetto Armory, Columbia. A thousand sabers and a thousand artillery swords were included; "All guns must be manufactured within the borders of the state of South Carolina." The treaty was later amended to remove the artillery swords and add a thousand more scabbarded cavalry swords. These were made at the Palmetto Armory and were identical to the US Model 1840. All were stamped "Columbia, SC" on the back of the ricasso. and some "Wm. Glaze & Co." on the obverse of Confederate handguns raises the question of whether these sabers were stamped "Columbia, S.C." Are they actually the product of the Palmetto Armory? The answer to that is definitely "yes." The comparison between those who also use the manufacturer name "Wm. Glaze & Co. show that "Columbia, SC" is hit on both with the same die. Another question also raised by Confederate Handguns is whether the contract with the saber was ever fulfilled. The survival rate strongly suggests this is the case.” 🇧🇷

Guillermo Albaugh,A photo insert from Confederate Swords

Pulaski Armory, Pulaski, Tennessee

TThe state of Tennessee had five gun stores in Columbia, Memphis, Nashville, Gallatin, and Pulaski. All five flintlock muskets were repaired and converted to percussion for the state, and only the Pulaski Armory made a new rifle. Sumner Armory in Gallatin, Tennessee manufactured a Model 1855 carbine from mid-1861 to early 1862.

Antonio and HillPictorial history Confederate long guns and pistols

Thomas, Griswold & Co., Nova Orleans, Louisiana

"JOn August 1861 the Hyde & Goodrich joint venture was dissolved by the resignation of A. L. Hyde, and thereafter the firm continued as Thomas, Griswold & Co., corner of Canal Street and Royal Street, New Orleans. (Henry Thomas, Jr., A.B. Griswold, A.B. Griswold, A.L. Abbott and Henry Ginder, Director). The company sold all kinds and types of war equipment, but is best known for its wide range of swords, sabers and machetes. Luckily for today's collectors, most of their products are stamped with either the company's full name and address or the company's initials and address, but their style of manufacture is so distinctive that those that aren't stamped are easily identified can. .

Guillermo Albaugh,A photo insert from Confederate Swords

JP Murray

BBefore the war, Englishman John P. Murray was a well-known gunsmith in Columbus. When war broke out, he converted flintlock muskets into percussion instruments for the state of Georgia. Eldridge S. Greenwood and William C. Gray operated a cotton warehouse in Columbus. On January 17, 1862, they bought a sword factory from A. H. Dewitt to build up their arsenal of rifles, carbines, and sabers. JP Murray was master gunsmith at Greenwood and Gray's new factory. Columbus, Ga. During the war it was the scene of much artillery activity. In addition to the Greenwood and Gray guns, it housed the L. Haiman & Brothers firm, as well as a large Confederate armory and depot. All these activities of the Columbus Ordnance Department were under the command of Major F. C. Humphreys. Major Humphereys' initials appear on the barrels of Greenwood and Gray rifles and carbines. Greenwood and Gray sold a portion of its production to the state of Alabama. Deliveries of arms against this treaty from October 1, 1863 to November 1864 show that Alabama was billed at $18,335 for a total of 262 Mississippi rifles and 73 carbines. The barrels are marked "Ala". with date and hallmark.

Antonio and HillPictorial history Confederate long guns and pistols

Tallassee, Tallassee, Alabama

"TThis was the official carbine of the Confederate States, adopted by a panel of field cavalry officers in 1864. They were manufactured at the Confederate Carbine Works, which was moved to Tallassee from Richmond in July 1863. This is the only carbine officially designed and accepted into federal service. The factory was located 27 miles northwest of Montgomery on the west bank of the Tallapoosa River. The river provided hydraulic power. In 1862, work began on converting and converting weapons. In 1863 the Confederate authorities took over the factory. With new machinery and personnel from Richmond, the new cavalry carbine was put into production. The Karabiner 500 was not fully completed until March or April 1865, meaning these guns were never released. It appears that the "Tilt Breech" carbine was made in the Tallassee Armory. A news article reported that the gun shop made a bolt action carbine that looked like a Maynard carbine.

Antonio and HillPictorial history Confederate long guns and pistols

Die Virginia Armory (Manufacturing) Richmond, Virginia

"TThe Virginia Armory, also known as the Virginia Manufactory, was located at the south end of Fifth Street, Richmond and began operations in 1802 making all kinds of weapons, including sabers. Guns were discontinued in 1822 and continued only until 1861 when the factory was ceded to the Confederate government. In the beginning, sabers had a flat pommel top and the blade was secured by a square nut that screwed onto the blade tang. Similar blades were 40 1/2 inches long! The second model was essentially the same, but with a bird's head pommel engraved with the tip of the blade. Both models had identical guards and blade lengths, but in 1851 the latter were shortened to 36 inches. The artillery saber had an inverted "P" type iron guard, a 30-inch blade with the same double fullers as the cavalry model. At the time of the war, the state of Virginia had 3,675 of these cavalry sabers and 703 artillery sabers in hand. Many of the early ones were the original long blade length, but many were cut and downsized to the more conventional 32-36 inch length. As originally designed, these sabers were to be carried crosswise in a sling and toad. Consequently, all iron scabbards were fitted down the throat with only one bolt to hook the toad. By 1860 the style had changed: sabers were used in belts and slings. Many of the Virginia sabers were sheathed to allow for this method of carrying. These scabbards were made of iron with brass fittings and rings. Throat and drag were iron.”

Guillermo Albaugh,A photo insert from Confederate Swords

James Westa, Sheffield, England

"JOJames Westa of Sheffield is said to have been under contract to supply the state of Louisiana with an undisclosed quantity of Bowie knives. The treaty was concluded shortly after the initial separation of the seven "cotton states" and was first honored with beautiful bows bearing, as part of the cloak decoration, the coat of arms of the state of Louisiana (a pelican in the nest feeding its young) of less than seven years. Stars (one star for each of the seven states: Alabama, Florida, Georgia, Louisiana, Mississippi, South Carolina and Texas). Later the same motif was used with an additional star for each detached state. Bowie came with horn and ivory handles and in a variety of blade lengths.

Guillermo Albaugh,A photo insert from Confederate Swords


Top Articles
Latest Posts
Article information

Author: Ray Christiansen

Last Updated: 01/01/2024

Views: 6278

Rating: 4.9 / 5 (69 voted)

Reviews: 84% of readers found this page helpful

Author information

Name: Ray Christiansen

Birthday: 1998-05-04

Address: Apt. 814 34339 Sauer Islands, Hirtheville, GA 02446-8771

Phone: +337636892828

Job: Lead Hospitality Designer

Hobby: Urban exploration, Tai chi, Lockpicking, Fashion, Gunsmithing, Pottery, Geocaching

Introduction: My name is Ray Christiansen, I am a fair, good, cute, gentle, vast, glamorous, excited person who loves writing and wants to share my knowledge and understanding with you.